And we’re off!
Welcome November! I’m so glad you are here. And thanks to you dear friends who still check this blog occasionally. My absence will not be felt any longer. But I’m about to shake things up and change it all around. (Officially) starting this month, I’m no longer a graphic designer, but a full-time illustrator working for myself! Woohoo! If you’ve known me for long, you’ve known this was always my (and our) hope. A couple months ago we decided it was time to give it a go. I’m not going to lie, I’m scared to death. The past few months have been different, shaky, and full with unexpected things. But I’m also very excited to try my hand at this, literally. (Sorry, it was begging for a joke.)
So, here’s what is coming up:
1. The blog will be getting a new header (hopefully this week), and will definitely be getting a new focus. My goal is to blog at least once a week, but hopefully once a day during the typical work week. The once a day thing is going to have to be felt out as I’m determined that each post should from now on contain some form of an illustration, done by me or perhaps an inspiration piece I discover.
2. As mentioned above, each post should include an illustration of some sort.
3. I’ll be doing themes most weeks for my own illustration challenges which will probably be quite apparent on the blog, so don’t get weirded out if there are a lot of posts about penguins one week and then umbrellas the next.
There are other tricks up my pencil smudged sleeves, but they are going to come in time. Perhaps that will make it more exciting. But I decided it was high time I break the silence and give myself some blog-public goals for where this old friend is headed. Things to look out for in the future, and if you feel so led, to encourage me about are:
• my new portfolio site
• an etsy store including items like calendars, custom portraits, random prints and more
• another blog with a focus on something I’m uber-passionate about
• my first official venture into children’s book illustration
Buckle your seat belt. I have no idea what kind of a ride this is going to be.
I’ve been thinking about this list for quite a while. I like to make lists. A lot. This list is coming out of the realization of my upcoming 26th birthday in September and how that sounds really old to me. I know it isn’t, but it has made me think about having more goals and attempting harder to attain them. So, here is my big list, in no particular order. Some are big things and some are small things. The before I turn 30 list. I will be updating and referring to this list hopefully a lot in the next few years. Here I go…
1. start capturing life with a Polaroid camera
2. begin a garden
3. learn French
4. visit DisneyWorld
5. start a family
6. send a children’s book draft or portfolio of illustrations to a publishing house
7. rescue a dog
8. learn some front end coding
9. build a clothesline
10. sew clothes for myself
11. paint a really big canvas
12. start a family wall of pictures
13. make a new website for my portfolio
14. make a pie from scratch
15. renovate the kitchen
16. ride a ferris wheel
17. visit a photobooth