no caffeine needed

Well, the blog is a bit silent as of late. There are many reasons for this but the 2 most important are 1. the kitchen reno and 2. a new schedule.

1. The kitchen. We are ridiculously close to the finish line for the kitchen. It has been a long month+. Last night we back-breakingly and painstakingly grouted half of the backsplash. We intended to do all, but learned a few things along the way and ran into the clock eventually. It looks fabulous though. I can hear the other half begging for its turn. We’ll tackle it tonight. And finish the whole thing soon. This weekend is the goal. Seriously holding my breath and crossing my fingers… If I close my eyes tight enough I can start to see it complete.

2. A new schedule. A couple weeks ago, while climbing into bed, utterly exhausted and stupefied that the clock again read much later than I realized, Mark and I decided to make a change. We were both running around like crazy, doing too many things, keeping a crazy schedule and insanely long to do lists that never seem to finish. I for one was ready to throw in the towel, actually every towel I could find. So I made a list, of course. Well, more of a post-it note mini-list (have I mentioned that I love post-its?). Being the genius that I am, I realized that there are 24 hours in a day. Now I’m supposed to work 8 hours (at least). That leaves me with 16 hours to do what I please. And most doctors highly recommend 8 hours of sleep. So now we are down to 8 hours left. Amazing how that works. So breaking it up, I decided we needed 2 hours in the morning, 1 hour for commute to work (both ways), and 1/2 to 1 hour for lunch. Then, I was astounded at what lay before me. 4 to 4 1/2 hours leftover. I was dumbfounded. I calculated it again. But there it lay on my little post-it.

I don’t know that I’ve ever seen those 4 to 4 1/2 hours. Maybe occasionally, but hardly ever since we started working like real adults. So that clenched it. We made a change. The biggest alteration was getting to work at 8 instead of 9. This little hour was a brilliant move on our parts. Even though I’ve always told myself I’m a night person, I actually can accomplish quite a bit in the mornings. And considering my creativity literally starts to revolt when it feels 5pm pass, getting to work an hour earlier and allowing myself to not only leave at 5 but actually take a lunch break is a whole new world to me. So far, it’s been going great. We’re still adjusting and definitely have our late nights with the kitchen wrangling, but another new incentive to get to work by 8 has been a parking space. You see, my office sits in a huge warehouse-esque building and there are marked spaces. If you don’t get a marked space near the office, you must park down the side in the lower parking lot. It’s not a terrible thing to walk, I enjoy it on nice days, but on these really hot days where I must tromp with (way too many) bags in hand, dress clothes, and most likely some sort of uncomfortable but professional shoes, the walk just makes my day start poorly. And it takes longer. Which requires me to get here earlier. Or risk being late for our daily meeting at 9:07.

So, thanks to the new schedule for encouraging sleep and more free time. And thanks to new lunch breaks which give me time to compose a much too long blog post since I’m feeling overly creative with my new-found sleep and apparently very wordy. Hopefully I’ll be here blogging a bit more frequently now that I’m being reintroduced to free time. My delicious only knows how many links I have labeled “blogthis.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s